Minecraft Mods

The “You Will Die” Mod - Rogue-like Minecraft

There's a reason Hardcore mode was one of the most requested features before it was added in Minecraft 1.0 - people love a good challenge. Modder xFyreStorm aims to provide a good challenge with his “You Will Die” mod that adds weapon, armor and enemy levels, traps, mystery potions, world goals and more…

The first thing you'll see when you load up a new world using this mod is a message detailing your world disadvantage, goal and blessing. World disadvantages add difficulty via special debuffs. World goals are like a main quest for this world. Completing the world goal will remove the world disadvantage. Finally there's your blessing, something to balance out the disadvantage. Here's an example of my test world:

I got a world goal to craft some emeralds. Not that bad. My blessing was “Lumberjack” which means I cut down trees faster and deal more damage with axes. Also not bad. My test world also had the Explosive Traps disadvantage which made traps explode when activated (more on traps later). This one was very bad. Here's what happened:

You can change your blessing using a pillar. Pillars randomly spawn in the world and have a blessing attached to them that you can then absorb. This way you're not tied into your beginner blessing and can use whichever one you need most.

Traps are another big danger in the world. They spawn randomly and are invisible to the player unless you're crouching and it's within 6 blocks. There are all kinds of traps and they can all be found in the world. You can disarm a trap by right clicking it, but there's a 75% chance it'll just blow up in your face. If you do manage to disarm it though, there's a 25% chance you'll get it in your inventory. If you don't like the 75% failure rate you can use shears to have a 100% chance to disarm, but lose the drop chance. You can also craft traps and those will disarm 100% of the time and you can't activate them yourself.

Found in dungeon chests and other loot spots are mystery potions that have one of 12 effects (and a wildcard 13th). You can't find out the effect without drinking a mystery potion, but then you know its effect permanently. Mystery mushrooms spawn in mushroom patches and can be used to craft mystery potions. The mod will also give levels to weapons, armor and enemies affecting their effectiveness. Higher rank swords will hit harder, higher level enemies are more dangerous and higher rank armor protects more.

The mod also changes world generation a bit, making dungeons more common and adding dungeon towers above ground.

This mod is best played on hardcore mode, and it compliments it well. If you're not after challenge this mod isn't for you, but it you like hardcore mode and enjoy a rouge-like challenge, this mod is for you. You can get it here:

Download the “You Will Die” Mod here!

Installation instructions:

  1. Install the Forge API.
  2. Run Minecraft at least once.
  3. Put the mod's .zip file in the mods folder located in your .minecraft folder.
  4. For any additional info, head to our big Mod Installation Guide.
  5. Ready to go! Enjoy.

Like always, feel free to leave any feedback you might have in the comment section below.

Version of mod reviewed: v0.0.3a for Minecraft 1.6.4.